Sr. UX Designer
San Francisco, CA
Blurb® is a book-making platform and creative community that enables individuals to create, publish, share and sell high-quality photo books, trade books, and magazines in both print and digital formats. Blurb is accessible to consumers across the globe with free, innovative book creation and layout tools. Founded in 2005, Blurb has over 2 million customers worldwide, resulting in over 3 million unique book titles, with nearly 22 million units shipped to over 70 countries around the world. We are headquartered in San Francisco.
Blurb is seeking a Senior UX Designer who will be responsible for synthesizing customer needs into useful, usable and desirable experiences. In this role, you will distill the complexity of the publishing process into a simple and rewarding experience that empowers creative people to bring their vision into to the world in the form of beautiful books. This role will need to lead as well as collaborate across teams to define the end-to-end user experience for Blurb’s extensive online, desktop, and mobile creation and selling platform.
This position reports to the Director of UX and is based in Blurb’s San Francisco office.
- Work in partnership with product management, engineering, and key stakeholders to define and deliver an exemplary experience for Blurb's online, mobile, and desktop products.
- Employ a range of human-centered design techniques, such as conceptual models, personas, user flows, wireframes, and interactive prototypes, to determine and convey design decisions.
- Collaborate and develop documentation as needed to guide engineering, marketing, customer support, and content creation through the implementation of engaging, high-quality user experiences.
- Identify, plan, and facilitate user research, insight analysis, and other feedback mechanisms to ensure that requirements and designs meet the needs of diverse customer segments. Provide appropriate quantitative and qualitative assessments of customer needs and market opportunities.
- Promote a holistic customer experience vision by maintaining shared design systems and standards, participating in cross-product design reviews, and serving as a customer advocate in development efforts and to the broader organization.
- Facilitate brainstorms and create relevant communications to engage cross-functional teams towards promoting design thinking and a customer-centric culture.
- Monitor competitive and complementary product experiences and trends. Document best practices and identify opportunities to deliver innovative and immersive creation, sharing, and selling experiences.
Other Job Functions:
- Other responsibilities as assigned
Education/Certifications: Master’s or Bachelor’s degree in human-computer interaction, cognitive psychology, interaction design, anthropology, or related field.
Work Experience: Five or more years developing interactive products as an Experience Designer, Product Designer, or Interaction Designer; direct experience leading design for discovery, delivery, and continuous improvement using agile methodologies. An outstanding portfolio reflecting design process, documentation, and results.
- Demonstrated mastery designing rich interactive applications on web, mobile, and desktop.
- Understanding of responsive design and drive for consistency across a range of contexts, devices, and operating systems.
- Empathetic and analytical mindset for identifying and validating user-focused opportunities.
- Systematic approach to problem solving for creating scalable and measurable design solutions that balance customer needs with business opportunities and technical constraints.
- Team-player mentality with excellent written and oral skills to collaborate effectively with a broad range of stakeholders.
- Exceptional information presentation to facilitate concept clarity and a shared understanding of goals and progress.
- Passion to continuously make things better with the pragmatism and fastidiousness to make it happen most effectively.
Blurb is a high-growth company, which means tremendous challenges and opportunities. We are looking for smart people who learn fast, solve problems, and get the job done. Our team is tasked with finding innovative ways to achieve hyper-growth and looking at new verticals and possibly new business models.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance (PPO or HMO options)
- 401(k) retirement plan
- Employer-paid life insurance, short-term and long-term disability
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical, dependent care, and transportation expenses
- 10 paid holidays
- 15 days paid time off per year (with tenure-based increases after two years)
- An extra day off for your birthday
- Free lunch on Wednesdays
- Company sponsored yoga and in-office massages
- $300 credit a year to create your own books with Blurb
How to Apply
Please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Blurb is committed to equal opportunity and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, disability status or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
The employer will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the American with Disabilities Act of 1990. The job description will be reviewed periodically as duties and responsibilities change with business necessity. Essential and other job functions are subject to modification. Reasonable accommodations may be provided to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.