Senior UX Researcher (Contract)
San Francisco, CA
Blurb is seeking a Senior UX Researcher who will be responsible for managing all aspects of planning, conducting, and reporting on usability and user experience research. You are expected to determine and employ a variety of research methods to understand the needs of diverse customers and synthesize the learnings to provide actionable product strategy, measurement, and/or process recommendations. This role will lead and collaborate across teams to assess and improve the end-to-end user experience for Blurb’s extensive online, desktop, and mobile creation and selling platform. This is an exciting opportunity to establish a strategic research practice that will influence and shape Blurb’s overall user experience.
This position reports to the Director of UX.
- Establish repeatable research processes as best practice for sprint teams to follow during various phases of the product development process.
- Plan small and large scale research projects to gain actionable, defensible insights about the needs and behaviors of our diverse customer segments. Translate general business and product requests into specific research questions, methods, and metrics.
- Coordinate and conduct user research on site, remotely, and in the field. Manage the logistical aspects of research planning, and facilitate research participants with professionalism and objectivity.
- Analyze data and communicate the results to product teams and stakeholders. Work closely with designers and multi-disciplinary teams to identify issues and integrate research findings into design and process recommendations.
- Inform and connect customer data and feedback across various areas of the business, including analytics, customer support, market research, and business intelligence.
- Conduct usability evaluations and cognitive walkthroughs for software applications, system processes, or other user interfaces at various stages of the design and development cycle.
- Promote a holistic customer experience vision by participating in design reviews and facilitating cross-functional collaboration that promotes design thinking and a customer-centric mindset.
- Monitor competitive and complementary product experiences and trends. Document best practices and identify opportunities to deliver innovative and immersive creation, sharing, and selling experiences.
- Education: Master’s degree in human-computer interaction, user experience, cognitive science, psychology, anthropology, or a related field.
- Work Experience: Five years of experience conducting user experience research and integrating findings into a user-centered design methodology. Experience with Agile and Lean UX methodologies preferred.
- Able to conduct short, iterative studies and quickly turn around results.
- Proven ability to understand customer needs, generate strategic approaches to solving problems, and translate insights into product requirements and design recommendations.
- Expertise identifying appropriate research methods to meet a business need. Experience conducting a range of research techniques, such as customer journey mapping, iterative design research, usability testing, card sorting, contextual inquiry, survey design, and A/B testing.
- Familiarity with software technologies for conducting user research, recording and analyzing data, and presenting results. Understanding of descriptive and higher-order statistics for deriving defensible conclusions.
- Excellent observational skills - you are curious by nature and have a keen ability to understand and see patterns in user behavior.
- Attentive to detail – terminology, appearance, OS standards, behaviors, and workflows.
- Oral and written communication skills in order to effectively interact with participants, product development teams, and stakeholders.
- Facilitation skills for putting participants at ease, respecting their time and input, ensuring their feedback is honest and valid.
- Presentation skills to convey compelling and actionable recommendations, including the ability to tell people what they don’t want to hear, and how to resolve it.
- Experience working effectively in a multidisciplinary team environment on multiple concurrent projects. Ability to consider user experience across multiple research efforts in order to design a research program that will provide greater end-user insights.
How to Apply
Please email resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Blurb is committed to equal opportunity and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, disability status or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
The employer will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the American with Disabilities Act of 1990. The job description will be reviewed periodically as duties and responsibilities change with business necessity. Essential and other job functions are subject to modification. Reasonable accommodations may be provided to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Blurb® is a book-making platform and creative community that enables individuals to create, publish, share and sell high-quality photo books, trade books, and magazines in both print and digital formats. Blurb is accessible to consumers across the globe with free, innovative book creation and layout tools. Founded in 2005, Blurb has over 2 million customers worldwide, resulting in over 4 million unique book titles, with nearly 18 million units shipped to almost 100 countries around the world. We are headquartered in San Francisco.