San Francisco, CA
Blurb® is a book-making platform and creative community that enables individuals to create, publish, share and sell high-quality photo books, trade books, and magazines in both print and digital formats. Blurb is accessible to consumers across the globe with free, innovative book creation and layout tools. Founded in 2005, Blurb has over 2 million customers worldwide, resulting in over 4 million unique book titles, with nearly 18 million units shipped to almost 100 countries around the world. We are headquartered in San Francisco.
We evolve our platform continually in response our dynamic market, and that means continual growth and change for our product and infrastructure. We need strong and experienced IT/DevOps practitioners who have depth in their toolbox and the imagination to apply those tools to continuously improve our environment and methods.
About You on our Team:
As a member of our DevOps team, you specialize in certain areas while backing up others in theirs. This means close collaboration and quick huddling for real-time decision making. You keep strong relations with our broader team, understanding their objectives and translating them into solid solutions that manage both risk and urgency. In short, you help us build an evolving and yet lasting foundation for deploying and managing our products.
If this picture fits you, and you feel you match the qualifications below, please let us know! I'm the new head of engineering at Blurb and I am fully involved in finding our next round of engineers. You can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org, with details at https://www.linkedin.com/in/chrisradcliffe1/ and https://www.linkedin.com/company/blurb/
- Newly built infrastructure using KVM and Ansible, with some EC2.
- Legacy infrastructure of VMware and puppet
- RHEL/CentOS 6 with some Windows
- Multi-datacenter / Cloud mixture
- Configs, code, scripts, etc. in GitHub
- Both NFS and S3 used for storage
Your experience and what you bring to Blurb:
- BS/MS degree in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent experience
- 4+ years IT industry work experience
- Familiarity with best practices for CI/CD
- Favorable to automation in the context of DevOps best practices
- Practiced in creating clear documentation
- Comfortable in a Red Hat/Linux 2.6 environment
- Solid root cause troubleshooting fundamentals; through to reading code and able to decipher the purpose of code in languages you may not have a lot of exposure to as well as use of debuggers, etc.
- Able to communicate clearly to both technical experts and novices
- Basic data center experience in terms of high-level knowledge on how to go from an empty cage to a working infrastructure
- Solid understanding of common transport and application layer protocols
- Good grasp of scaling techniques: performance optimization, caching, etc.
- Ability to participate in a 24x7 on-call rotation
- Experience utilizing monitoring and metrics to plan and execute solutions
Experience with many of the following technologies or similar, or the ability to come onboard quickly with minimal guidance:
- Ansible 2 (-playbook, -pull)
- HashiCorp Vault
- CentOS 6
- KVM (Linux 2.6)
- Dell server hardware
- VMware 6
- Git and GitHub
- EC2 and S3
- Jenkins 2 pipelines and jobs / comparable CI tools
- Advanced bash (regex, functions, signals)
- Python, Ruby, Java, or SQL experience a plus
- F5 BIG-IP and HAProxy load balancers
- Icinga 2 / nrpe
- SumoLogic / Splunk
- Tomcat 8 / Apache / Nginx
Expectations and occasional work scenarios:
- Occasional travel on prem to any one of our 3 data centers located in Oakland, CA or Salt Lake City, Utah or Portland, Oregon to assist / rack new equipment, configure and test, or decommission old equipment
- On call 1 out of every 3-5 weeks
- Participate in team decisions on tool selection, problem solving, critical path for our initiatives
- Spending time willingly picking up new technologies that you may be unfamiliar with
- Putting time in with some of our older equipment until we decommission it
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance (HMO, PPO, HSA options)
- Parental Leave Benefit
- Employer-Paid Life insurance, Short-term and Long-term disability
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Flexible Spending Accounts for Medical, Dependent Care, and Transportation and Parking expenses
- 10 Paid Holidays
- 15 Days Paid Time Off Per Year (with tenure-based increases after two years)
- Birthday Off
- Catered Lunch on Wednesdays
- Office massage
- $300 credit A Year to Create Your Own Books with Blurb
How to Apply
Please email resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Blurb is committed to equal opportunity and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, disability status or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
The employer will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the American with Disabilities Act of 1990. The job description will be reviewed periodically as duties and responsibilities change with business necessity. Essential and other job functions are subject to modification. Reasonable accommodations may be provided to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.