Sr Linux System Administrator
Blurb (blurb.com) is a company and a community that believes passionately in the power of books: making, reading, sharing, and selling them. For anyone with a story to tell – whether through photographs, words, illustrations, or any combination of those things – Blurb gives you the tools to put your best work into a print or digital book. We’re also a marketing platform – we give you the tools to market your books, set your own price, and keep 100% of the markup. We handle the back-end order processing and fulfillment, allowing you to focus on your great ideas, and creating awesome books. Not bad, right?
You’re getting us at just the right time too. With more than 2 million books produced, over 1.5 million registered users, and a global footprint that extends to 74 countries, Blurb continues to experience high growth and profitability amidst challenging economic times. Blurb is a private, VC backed company. If you’re ready to dive right in, get dirty, work hard and have fun, keep reading.
Going strong after 6 years, Blurb is currently seeking a Sr systems administrator to join its IT Operations team. The ideal candidate will have significant experience in the implementation of scalable networks of heterogeneous systems and in working as a member of a small team. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated ability in automating systems administration tasks and authoring policies and procedures that support 24x7 operations. This position includes off hours, on-call responsibilities.
The most important job requirement is the ability, experience, and desire to provide a computationally intensive service, non-stop. Your troubleshooting skills should be top-notch, and your communication skills should be strong. We'd like to see experience in at least a few key areas: performance analysis, rapid scalability, infrastructure/support systems and network engineering.
This is a senior-level Linux Systems Administrator position, and as such we are not only looking for somebody with broad experience, but also the go-getter attitude to take initiative and take some big projects from inception to large-scale production deployment. Your contributions will be crucial to our success.
- Rotating 24x7 on-call support
- Configuration and management of Linux systems (physical and virtual) and networking devices
- Automate everything in sight, be horrified by the idea of manual, repetitious labor (Puppet, Yum, etc.)
- Monitoring service stability and end to end performance tuning
- Maintaining tools to aid in automation of alerting and deployment (Nagios, Cacti, etc.)
- Developing, implementing, deploying, and supporting advanced virtualization and data storage strategies
- Minimum 5+ years of experience working in system administration with at least 3+ years working a high traffic, public facing production environment
- Extraordinary troubleshooting abilities
- Solid Linux fundamentals including networking, file systems, security, and the kernel
- Solid knowledge of VMware, NFS, NIS, NAS/SAN’s, Puppet, Kickstart and Yum
- Cross-functional experience in networking, SANs, global load balancing, and databases
- Solid knowledge of protocols such as: HTTP, SMTP, SNMP, DNS
- Solid scripting experience (Perl, Python, or Ruby), including large-scale tools that support the day-to-day operations of a service delivery platform
- Solid knowledge of LVM, SAN, NAS, RAID, EXT3 & 4
- Familiar with Cacti, Nagios, Ganglia, or other monitoring and metrics tools
- Knowledgeable in TCP/IP, VLANs, OSPF, IPSEC, BGP, Cisco IOS,
- Ability to learn quickly and adapt to a fast-paced, growing and evolving service delivery system
- Ability to manage multiple simultaneous projects through their entire life cycle
- Acts as interface between systems group & end users
- Excellent communication skills
- Knowledge of: PillarData SAN/NAS, Gluster, Drobo, Caruso and GIT a desirable plus.
Blurb is a small, high-growth company, which means tremendous challenges and opportunities. We are looking for smart people who learn fast, solve problems, and get the job done. Our products and services are focused on the user experience, so you'll need to be user-focused as well. We have a world-class team drawn from companies such as Apple, Adobe, Intuit, Corbis, Current TV, eBay, Kodak, Method, Microsoft, Sun, CNET, Yahoo!, Lonely Planet and Sony.
We’re in the financial district, and there are plenty of great eating (and drinking) spots close by!
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance (PPO or HMO options)
- 401(k) retirement plan
- Employer paid life insurance, short-term and long-term disability
- Flexible Spending Account (both medical and dependent care)
- 10 paid holidays
- 15 days paid time off per year (with tenure-based increases after two years)
- Free lunch on Wednesdays
How to Apply:
Blurb is committed to attracting and retaining the most highly qualified candidates available. As a Blurb employee you will be consistently challenged to deliver to the best of your ability. If you are prepared for this challenge, tell us your qualifications, experience and interests in this position in a cover letter and resume. Please be sure and tell us why you think you would be a great addition to the Blurberati!